Spinach and Shaved Root Vegetable Salad with Moroccan Spiced Chicken
Source: Joanne Weir, www.joanneweir.com
Serves 2 to 3
Moroccan Spiced Chicken (optional)
Half chicken or chicken breast, skin and bone removed
4 tablespoons harissa spice mix, or a season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne and paprika
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 baby yellow or white turnips, scrubbed or peeled
3 watermelon radishes
2 rainbow carrots, scrubbed or peeled
3 baby red or yellow beets
½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoons ginger
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of ground cumin
3 to 4 ounces fresh spinach, ends removed, washed and spun dry
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. If you are making the chicken: rub chicken with harissa or salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. In a frying pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
2. Cook the chicken in a pan on medium heat until it islight golden, 5 to 8minutes. Turn the chicken, season with salt and continue to cook until there is some resistance when pressed, another 5 to 8 minutes. Check for doneness. Remove from the pan and let cool 5 minutes. Slice on the diagonal.
3. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, shave the turnips, carrots, watermelon radishes, and beets into paper-thin slices and set aside.
4. Warm ½ teaspoon of the olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds, paprika, ginger, cayenne, cumin and salt and toss together. Cook until light golden and aromatic, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and cool.
5. In a large serving bowl, whisk together the vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shaved root vegetables, spinach, and chicken (if using) and toss together. Top with the toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
Photo by Colin Price/Good Eggs.