Foodwise Teens is a paid youth development program where teens become change agents for a sustainable, equitable, and nourishing food future. Through hands-on experiences in the garden, in the kitchen, and at the farmers market, students learn about food justice, develop important life and job skills, and build community together.
Foodwise Teens offers participants multiple opportunities to nurture their health and wellbeing, build leadership and stewardship, and explore careers in their food community. The three program levels include:
- Seed: Teens learn about the food system and local food community after school and on-site at the farmers market (fall or spring, after school, 10 weeks)
- Grow: Teens deepen their learning and skills through teen-led projects and leadership opportunities (fall or spring, after school, 10 weeks)
- Cultivate: Teens participate in various job placements in the local food community and receive mentorship and coaching (summer, 8 weeks)
Foodwise currently offers this free program for high school students at three San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) partner schools, John O’Connell High School, Mission High School, and The Academy – San Francisco @ McAteer. Foodwise prioritizes students who have been underserved in the current academic environment, such as BIPOC students and students who qualify for free or reduced price lunch.
For Students: Fall 2023 Applications Are Now Open!
Foodwise Teens is offered for high school students in San Francisco at the following San Francisco Unified School District partner schools:
- John O’Connell High School: Tuesdays (4:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
- The Academy – San Francisco @ McAteer: Wednesdays (2:00 pm – 4:00 pm)
- Mission High School: Thursdays (3:00 pm – 5:00 pm)
Applications are currently open for the Fall 2023 semester. The deadline to apply is September 12, 2023.
Questions? Contact Jasmine Chastine at email@example.com.
Foodwise Teens offers three paid sessions throughout the year. Applications open 6 weeks before each session start date.
- Fall Semester After-School Program: September through December (10 week program)
- Spring Semester After-School Program: March through May (10 week program)
- Summer Fellowship: July through August (8 week program)
Support Foodwise Teens
Foodwise is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and we rely on your support to offer this program free of charge to public high school students. Support future food leaders by volunteering, interning, or donating.
Learn More about Foodwise Teens
Launched in January 2019, Foodwise Teens builds on eight years of success in our Schoolyard to Market program, while taking our youth programming to the next level. Read articles, student quotes, and teacher testimonials:
Thank You to Our Current & Previous Institutional Funders
- Bella Vista Foundation
- Hearst Foundation
- Henry Mayo Newhall Foundation
- Kimball Foundation
- Mary Crocker Trust
- Miranda Lux Foundation
- Opportunities for All
- San Francisco Department of the Environment
- San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD)