Foodwise is a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing thriving communities through the power and joy of local food. Our vision is to inspire a world that nourishes all people, local economies, and the living earth. Foodwise seeks seasonal interns to support our Foodwise Teens program in the fall and spring semesters.
Note: If you are you a high school student looking for paid job training opportunities, please apply to our Foodwise Teens program here. We currently work with students at Mission High School, John O’Connell High School, or The Academy – San Francisco @ McAteer in San Francisco.
Overview of Position
The Foodwise Teens Intern will be responsible for supporting Foodwise staff in implementing Foodwise Teens programming and working directly with teens at three SFUSD partner high schools.
Foodwise Teens is a 10-week paid paid job training program where teens build skills to sustain healthy lives and a healthy planet. Students learn about food justice, develop job skills, and get hands-on experience in the garden, in the kitchen, and at the farmers market, while getting paid for their work. Foodwise Teens offers students training in environmental education, culinary education, customer engagement and general job readiness. Students grow in their understanding of local food systems and eating habits and gain valuable career skills.
Internship Application and Program Dates
Please note the following applications deadlines and program dates. Between semesters, applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Positions are open until filled.
- Internship applications due: mid January
- Program duration: mid February to late May
- Internship applications due: mid August
- Program duration: early September to mid December
- Teach students about sustainable agriculture, culinary skills, food justice, and job readiness
- Lead students in practical garden and culinary work
- Track student work hours throughout program
- Set up and clean-up of weekly lessons
- Preparation of materials for weekly lessons
- Administrative support such as data entry of surveys and other information
- Offer suggestions for improvement of the educational experience
- Assist with miscellaneous Foodwise Teens tasks
Pre-program (2 weeks before program start)
- Collect and prepare program materials in Foodwise office.
- School Presentations/ Student Recruitment at Mission, O’Connell and Academy.
- Interview potential students to join the next semester’s Foodwise Teens cohort.
- Read curricular materials for each week’s training and prepare materials, if needed
- Read students’ responses to remote assignments and track completion
- Respond to students’ emails
- Schedule individual check in phone calls with students and/or families, as needed.
- In Person
- Support trainings and/or facilitating delivery of material (see “Hours and Duration” for details)
- Support students at the Saturday farmers market
- Support in school garden maintenance
Post program (one week after program)
- Participate in a feedback session with Foodwise staff and offer suggestions for improvement of the educational experience
- Support survey data analysis for grant reporting, fundraising, and curriculum revisions
- Support revisions of curricular materials
- Track your weekly hours
- Weekly team check ins with Foodwise Program Coordinator/Education Manager
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of and/or passion for gardening, cooking, teaching, sustainable agriculture, food access, local food systems, youth development and food justice
- Comfort working with teens from diverse communities in San Francisco. Strong skills in interpersonal communication, collaboration and emotional intelligence
- Multilingual and/or multi-cultural competence
- A friendly, outgoing nature
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Reliability, punctuality, and the ability to work well with others
- Over 18 years old, high school graduate or equivalent
Hours and Duration
10 – 15 hours per week. During those 10 weeks, interns are expected to attend at least one weekly training, with the option to support students at farmers markets and administrative work. During the other weeks of the internship, interns will support interviews/selection of students and wrap up/evaluate the program. Interns are expected to be onsite and in-person on a weekly basis for the following:
Trainings at School Sites
- Tuesdays (3:00 pm – 6:00 pm) at Mission High School (3750 18th St., San Francisco)
- Wednesdays (2:00 pm – 5:00 pm) at The Academy – San Francisco @ McAteer (555 Portola Dr., San Francisco)
- Thursdays (3:00 pm – 6:00 pm) at John O’Connell High School (2355 Folsom St., San Francisco)
Workdays at Foodwise Farmers Markets
- Saturdays (8:30 am – 2:30 pm) at at Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (Ferry Building, San Francisco; open year round)
- To be arranged
The Foodwise Teens Intern reports to the Foodwise Teens Education Manager. Foodwise will provide training as needed, and will fulfill the intern’s learning objectives while also meeting the organization’s goals. Foodwise will provide performance feedback at the midpoint and at the completion of the internship.
Interns will receive a stipend of about $100 per week ($1,400 per semester), in addition to the option of receiving academic credit. Benefits also include access to leftover produce from class, discounts and free tickets to some Foodwise events. In this position, you’ll learn about gardening, cooking, sustainable food systems, and farmers markets. You’ll gain teaching experience and exposure to the nonprofit working environment.
All interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination due to the nature of working closely and in-person with youth.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Education Manager Jasmine Chastine at firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions are open until filled. Email submissions only; no phone calls, please.