Pan-Seared Wild King Salmon
Source: Pablo Estrada, Rose Pistola
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA’s Market to Table program on September 14, 2013.
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 sprig marjoram
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig tarragon
1 sprig basil
10 unripe green cherry tomatoes
10 Sungold cherry tomatoes
10 Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
½ cup of Castelvetrano olives
2 ounces arugula
6 ounces salmon
1. To confit the cherry tomatoes, place a small pan over a low flame. Add ½ cup of the olive oil and bring it to 220°F.
2. Add the garlic and the fresh herbs and cook for three minutes.
3. Peel off the skin of the cherry tomatoes, then add them to the oil and let cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a blender, combine ¼ cup of the olive oil and the olives and puree.
5. Warm the last ¼ cup of oil in a sauté pan over low heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, add it to the pan skin-side down, and let it cook for 5 minutes, until the skin gets crispy. Turn it over and let it cook for another minute.
6. To serve, place the cherry tomatoes on a plate, add the salmon skin-side up, drizzle with olive puree, and garnish with fresh arugula.