Source: CUESA's Foodwise Kids Program
This is a kid-friendly recipe that the whole family can prepare together! Created for CUESA’s Foodwise Kids program and updated in 2019, it’s particularly well-suited for kids ages 6 to 12.
Here’s a secret: Kids love kale chips, even the really picky eaters. The crunch and saltiness make them forget they’re eating a vegetable. Unfortunately, they don’t store well for long, but we’ve never had a problem getting our student chefs to eat up the whole plate.
This is a great recipe for kids of all ages and all skill levels, as no knives are needed. In the recipe, we’ve made them sesame flavored, but feel free to experiment with other oils or flavors. After you’ve mastered kale chips, try making a chip out of other leafy greens. Chard, turnip greens, and beet greens are tasty, too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
1 bunch of kale, any variety
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white sesame seeds
Silpat (silicon baking mat) (optional)
1. Ask an adult for help to preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wash your hands with soap and water. Thoroughly rinse vegetables. Shake off water or dry them with a towel.
3. Hold the stem of a kale leaf in one hand. Use your other hand to tear off the soft leaf from the stem. We will not use the stems in this recipe. You can compost the stems, or chop them up and add into a dish needing a hearty vegetable. Tear the leaves into pieces roughly 1 to 2 inches long.
4. Spread leaves on a baking sheet, lined with a silpat. Drizzle oil and sprinkle salt onto leaves. Use your hands to mix leaves, oil, and salt together.
5. Use your hands to spread kale equally on the baking sheet. In order for the kale to become crisp, they must be in a single layer and each piece of kale should not touch another piece. Use another baking sheet if you need more space, or bake in batches.
6. Ask an adult for help placing the baking sheet into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crispy. Check kale every few minutes, as they can easily burn.
7. Ask an adult for help to scoop kale chips off baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Allow to cool for a minute before serving. Enjoy immediately.