Grilled Little Gem Salad with Oranges, Feta, and Pistachios
Source: Adam Timney, Starbelly
Serves 2 to 3
½ cup apple or champagne vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 oranges (can use navels, blood oranges, or Cara Cara)
2 tablespoons shelled pistachios
1 ounce feta cheese, cut into small cubes
2 heads Little Gem lettuce, or small Castelfranco radicchio
Olive oil, to coat lettuce
Salt and pepper
1. Place the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper into a squeeze bottle; shake well before using. This simple dressing recipe makes extra and keeps well in the refrigerator for later use.
2. Cut a thin slice off each end the orange. Placing one flat end on a cutting board, use a paring knife to trim off the peel and white membrane, slicing from top to bottom along the contour of the orange. Then slice the oranges into circles about ¼ inch thick.
3. Add feta to a mixing bowl with the oranges and pistachios.
4. Wash Little Gems and cut in half lengthwise. Lightly coat them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill them on high heat for approximately 1 to 1½ minutes, until a bit charred but still firm.
5. While the lettuce is still warm, place 1 to 2 halves on each salad plate. Top with orange slices, feta, and pistachios and drizzle lightly with the vinaigrette.
Photo by Colin Price/Good Eggs.