Dried Stone Fruit Granola Bars
Source: Lucas Knox, Burritt Room + Tavern
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA’s Market to Table program on September 27, 2014.
Makes 9 to 16 pieces
⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 cup whole rolled oats
½ cup diced dried apricots
½ cup diced dried peaches
¾ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Spread the pumpkin seeds, coconut, and oats into a single layer on a rimmed baking pan and toast until the seeds are fragrant, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the dried fruit.
2. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment and coat with non-stick spray.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the honey to 260°F (measure with a candy thermometer). Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour this over the oat mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated with honey.
4. Transfer the granola to the lined pan and press down firmly. You can use a greased pan or pot bottom to press the granola bars flat.
5. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely before cutting into the desired number of bars.
Photo by Carleen Sikora.