Warm Brown Rice, Cauliflower, and Escarole Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette
Source: Lauren Kiino, Il Cane Rosso
Serves 4 as a side or 2 as an entrée
¾ cup uncooked brown rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium head cauliflower florets & leaves, medium diced
1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
½ bunch Italian parsley, minced
1 head escarole or radicchio, washed and trimmed
4 strips bacon (approximately 2 ounces), minced (optional)
1 egg per serving (optional)
1 garlic clove, mortared or chopped
8 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 bacon strips
Bacon fat (optional)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot, bring the brown rice, 1½ cups of water, and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on until done, about 50 minutes.
2. If you are using bacon, cook it in a pan until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and reserve the fat for the vinaigrette.
3. To make the vinaigrette, macerate the garlic with the vinegar and mustard. If you are using the bacon fat, whisk it in and supplement with olive oil to make 3 tablespoons total fat. Otherwise, just whisk in the olive oil.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the cauliflower; sprinkle with salt. Cook until lightly browned. Add the onion; cook until softened. Add the parsley and cook a few minutes more.
5. Add the cooked brown rice and escarole; cook until it’s warmed through and the escarole is wilted.
6. If you are adding eggs, fry them in olive oil.
7. Add some of the vinaigrette to the salad just before serving; taste, season, and serve. Top with the optional minced bacon and fried egg, if using.
Photo by Colin Price/Good Eggs.