Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Celebrating Black Women Makers
Saturday, March 25, 2023, 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Market Happening Pop-Ups on the Plaza Ferry Plaza
This Women’s History Month, celebrate Bay Area Black women makers with a day of delicious food, community, and family fun at the Embarcadero Ferry Terminal Plaza (south of the Ferry Building) and Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Entry is free and open to the public, and food and drinks will be available for purchase.
This is the first in a series of 2023 Pop-Ups on the Plaza events celebrating Bay Area Black-owned food businesses. Pop-Ups on the Plaza is a Port sponsored event brought to you by Foodwise. This program is proudly funded in partnership with the San Francisco Human Rights Commission’s Dream Keeper Initiative. Additional support is provided by the Ferry Building.
Pop-Ups on the Plaza features businesses in Foodwise’s Building Equity program, which supports the business growth, economic viability, and asset-building of BIPOC food entrepreneurs. Foodwise and our community partners, En2action’s Ujamaa Kitchen, La Cocina, Mandela Partners, and SF Black Wallstreet, are proudly committed to uplifting and advancing equity for BIPOC, immigrant, and limited-resource entrepreneurs across the Bay Area.
- A Girl Named Pinky: Cakes, Cupcakes, Cake Pops, Cookies Tarts
- Bismillah Boutique: Handmade Candles and Beauty Products
- Chef Sarah Germany: Hot Sauces, Smoked Catfish Filets
- En Vie Naturals: Natural Skin Care Products
- The Lemonade Bar: Organic Lemonade and Frozen Lemonade
- Lil’ Alijo Catering & Events: Crab & Shrimp Lumpia, Crawfish & Shrimp Étouffée, Bourbon Chicken, Jambalaya Balls, Ube Croissant Cubes, Praline Mini Bundt Cakes, Praline Candy, Ube Colada Lemonade
- LoJo’s Taco Shop: Breakfast Tacos (meat, veggie, and special seasonal options)
- Tha Mf’n Vegan: Sideshow Sliders, Hella Hyphy Nachos, Tamales
- MelanAid: Bottled Immunity Shots, Seasonal Organic Juices
- Minnie Bell’s Soul Movement: Dry Cornbread Mix, Sweet Spice Blend, Savory Spice Blend
- Mo’Raysha: Mac & Cheese & Garlic Noodles
- The Pleasure Principle Supperclub & Dining Events: Seasonal Caribbean Snacks, Sweet and Savory Pastries
- Smoke Soul Kitchen: Soul-Fusion Ribs, Cajun Pasta, Mac ‘n Cheese, Beans
- Sukulenta SF: Afro Colombian Empanadas, Beef Empanadas, Asado Colombiano Plate, Passion Fruit Juice with Aloe
Join us in the Ferry Terminal Plaza (adjacent to the Ferry Building) for fun family activities and music:
- Flower Crafts for Kids: Visit the Foodwise Kids tent to make a flower crown or boutonniere using flowers from women-owned farms. We will provide all of the tools and flowers—you bring the creativity! This activity is suited for children 7 and up, but we’ll have coloring pages and mini farmers market totes (while supplies last) for kids of all ages.
- Music by DJ Lonnie Taylor
Visit the Foodwise Classroom (green tent in front of the Ferry Building) for free cooking demos featuring Black women chefs:
- Foodwise Demo: Imani M-Glover, The Lemonade Bar (10:30 am)
- Foodwise Demo: Tiffany Carter, Boug Cali (11:30 am)
Save These Dates for Future Events
Support Bay Area Black food entrepreneurs at these upcoming events in the series:
- Saturday, June 10: Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Juneteenth on the Waterfront
- Saturday, September 23: Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Fall Kickoff
- Saturday, December 9: Pop-Ups on the Plaza: Black Holiday Market