Renewing Our Resolve in 2021
January 1, 2021
It’s been a year like no other! From behind our masks, we are smiling and grateful that you are part of the CUESA family. Our mission to grow thriving communities through the power and joy of local food is only made possible by your participation. Thank you!
Last year was a testament to the power of people working together to create a resilient local food shed. Through it all, you have shown up for our farmers, cared for your neighbors, and grown stronger as a community. Just look what we have accomplished together:
- We advocated, with our fellow market operators, to ensure that farmers markets remain open as a safe and essential service for community food access.
- Between the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and Mission Community Market, we hosted 180 markets, supporting more than 130 local farms and food businesses.
- Through our newly launched Feed Hospitality program, we distributed 1,500 free produce boxes to unemployed restaurant and bar workers and their families, while paying local farmers.
- We launched the CUESA Farmers Market Box curbside pickup program, directing $145,000 to farmers and food makers who had lost vital restaurant income.
- We distributed more than $100,000 in CalFresh and Market Match benefits for low-income families to purchase fresh produce at the farmers market.
- Last fall, we radically adapted our Foodwise Teens program for distance learning with a cohort of 35 students, so they could continue to learn about gardening, cooking, and food justice in this critical time.
We took our free education programs online, creating 24 videos of cooking demos and local farms.
Whether you support our community at the farmers market, volunteer your time, or donate to invest in our markets and education programs, you are contributing to an equitable and sustainable food future for all.
Thank you for your partnership, so sincerely! Here’s to renewing our resolve and deepening our work together to build a resilient, connected, and regenerative food system in 2021 and beyond. From all the staff, we wish you a happy, healthy, and hopeful New Year, filled with delicious farmers market foods.
Your friends at CUESA
Top row: Mark, Vance, Jameil, Lulu; Second row: Rebecca, Matty, Deven, Tommy, Andrea; Bottom row: Brie, Cindy, Christine, Christian; Not pictured: Anisha, Tessa. Photo by Christopher Che.