Grilled Corn and Arugula Salad with Smoked Tomato Vinaigrette
Source: Joanne Weir, Copita Tequileria y Comida
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA’s Market to Table program on July 14, 2012.
3 ears fresh corn in their husks
2 red bell peppers
1 tomato, diced
½ garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 bunches arugula, stems removed (about 8 cups)
¾ cup imported black or green olives
1½ cups (8 ounces) red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
3-ounce piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1. Prepare a charcoal grill.
2. Grill the corn and peppers 4 inches from the coals, turning occasionally, until the skins of the peppers and the corn husks are black, and the corn kernels are light golden when the husk is pulled back, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and transfer the peppers to a paper or plastic bag, close tightly, and let cool for 10 minutes. Let the corn cool.
3. Remove the corn husks and silk. Cut the kernels from the cob and set aside. Scrape the skin from the peppers with a knife.
4. In a blender, purée the pepper, tomato, garlic, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, strain through a fine-mesh sieve, and reserve.
5. Divide the vinaigrette evenly among 6 plates. In a large bowl, toss together the corn and arugula, then distribute onto the plates. Garnish with olives and cherry tomatoes. Shave the cheese over the top. Serve immediately.