A healthy food system starts with you! Here are a few ways individuals, restaurants, schools, and businesses can help transform our food system for the better.
Individuals and Families
- Shop at farmers markets. Buy directly from small-scale farms that are using sustainable practices. Learn more about our markets »
- Volunteer for Foodwise! We can always use volunteers to help us with programs and projects. Learn more »
- Eat seasonally. Find out what’s in season and when »
- Sign up for our e-letter to get weekly updates about the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, events, and articles about sustainable agriculture.
- Support our free and low-cost cooking classes, farm tours, youth programs, and outreach efforts. Donate »
- Learn! Get educated about sustainable agriculture and farmers markets »
- Nourish yourself, your family, and your friends by cooking meals with using local, sustainable ingredients. Browse seasonal recipes »
- Grow your own! Nothing is more local or sustainable than what you grown in your backyard or window box.
- Encourage policies that support sustainable agriculture. Take action »
- Become a member of a community supported agriculture (CSA) program. Invest in a farm and reap the benefits all season long!
- Serve local, sustainable food and acknowledge farms on your menu. See a list of chefs who shop with us »
- Shop at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Participate in our chef parking pass program and make your trip to the market easier. Contact us »
- Let the seasons guide your menus. View our seasonality charts »
- Share your knowledge of cooking with market shoppers. Teach classes at the Foodwise Classroom. Learn more »
Schools and Teachers
- Organize a student field trip to the farmers market. Learn more »
- Plan your trip with our suggested activities and resources for teachers. Learn more »
- Educate yourself about sustainable agriculture. Explore resources »
Businesses and Corporations
- Become a sponsor of Foodwise’s programs, markets or events. Learn about sponsorship opportunities »
- Make a current schedule of farmers markets available to your employees.
- Give farmers market gift coins to your employees for holidays or rewards. Learn more »
- Make a general contribution. Donate »
- Organize a group visit to the farmers market. Learn more »
- Invite Foodwise to your employee health fair to talk about the benefits of buying local, sustainably-produced food. Contact us »