Fun and Inspiring Farmer Feeds to Follow on Instagram
September 8, 2017
There’s no better way to connect with the people behind your food than visiting the farmers market, but what do our local farmers get up to the rest of the week? As you can imagine, a whole lot of work goes into bringing the bounty to your table. Transparency is one of the cornerstones of a healthy food system, and many farmers are getting social-media-savvy, sharing their behind-the-scenes experiences and stories with folks living in the city.
By no means a definitive list, here are a few local farms to add to your Instagram feed so you can stay in touch with them day-to-day. And be sure support them IRL at CUESA’s Ferry Plaza and Jack London Square Farmers Markets!
Lonely Mountain Farm
Molly and Kenny Baker, organic farmers of Lonely Mountain Farm, chronicle their adventures raising veggies, Nigerian Dwarf goats, and two young’uns in Watsonville, with no shortage of cute.
Apr 19, 2017 at 2:44pm PDT
Bringing bursts of organic flower power to the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on Saturdays, Joanna Letz of Bluma Farm grows 60 varieties on her 1.5 acre floral paradise in Sunol. Learn about what she’s harvesting each week by following along on Instagram.
Apr 9, 2017 at 4:28pm PDT
Root Down Farm
Beginning farmer Dede Boies of Root Down Farm shares pics and vids of pigs (pictured above), chickens, turkeys, and more from her Animal Welfare Approved organic farm in Pescadero.
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:37am PDT
Happy Acre Farm
One of the newest additions to the Jack London Square Farmers Market, first-generation farmers Helena and Matthew Sylvester of Happy Acre Farm have been featured on the Modern Farmer feed, showing what it takes to grow organic vegetables and flowers on 2.5 acres in Sunol.
Shout out to the teacher who balked when I said by the time I was 30 I wanted to have my own farm. I turn 30 today and am proud to say that Happy Acre is in its 4th year of business. There have been a lot of people who believed in me/us along the way, and those who haven’t are just extra motivation. #farmlife #nopanicweorganic #happyacrefarm #imlikeanelephantidontforget
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:06pm PDT
Tomales Farmstead Creamery & Toluma Farms
Is CUESA’s annual Goat Festival not enough caprine fun for you? Tomales Farmstead Creamery has plenty of goaty (and sheepy) goodness from Toluma Farms to keep you goating year round.
Apr 9, 2017 at 11:25am PDT
Eatwell Farm has known for bringing community together at their beautiful corner stand at Ferry Plaza Farmers Market for close to 25 years, as well as their organic farm in Dixon, where they host community activities like lavender harvests, tomato canning parties, and more.
Jun 14, 2017 at 10:56am PDT
With beautiful photos of almond orchards in bloom, rice paddies, and newborn pigs and lambs, Massa Organics show the beauties as well as the realities of farming.
One of the first things you learn as a farmer is that you can’t control the weather. But that doesn’t change the fact that this has been a hard winter for us. Heavy rains in October delayed planting of our winter crops and prevented us from planting those crops on raised beds that would have saved them from later flooding. 80% of what we were able to plant–150 acres of wheat, barley, bell beans, and hay–drowned in the floods over the last several months, and the remaining 20% may yet succumb. It’s also been hard on our animals. We’re running out of high ground to put them on as our pastures flood. We’re out of hay for the sheep, and have had to buy expensive feed for them to supplement the little grass we have. We’ve even had several animals die due to weather-related stresses. Our almond orchard is flooded, which may increase disease pressure later in the year and cause yield losses. And to top it off, farmers market sales are down significantly due to the wet weather. We are determined to scrape through, but we’re ready for spring to come.
Feb 21, 2017 at 3:43pm PST
Frog Hollow Farm
Our Flavor King harvest is in full swing and @froghollowfarm workers have their own song dedicated to this incredible stone fruit! Find the lyrics and English translation at the link in our bio and sing along to the catchy #elmariachiloco tune.
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:30pm PDT
Fifth Crow Farm
From the big picture down to the busy little bees pollinating in the fields, Fifth Crow Farm brings you the day-to-day moments on their family-run organic operation in Pescadero.
Jul 21, 2016 at 1:17pm PDT
Casa Rosa Farms
Heritage sheep, ducks, and children frolic and cows fall in love at Casa Rosa Farms in Capay Valley.
This is cow romance. Lots of licking for two days and a calf standing close by that’s ready to be weaned. So glad we paid too much for such a good bull. Totally worth hanging out with the bulls at the Yeringron NV bull sale feed lot yards a couple years ago.
Apr 24, 2017 at 11:05pm PDT