Help facilitate hands-on learning opportunities for elementary school students participating in Foodwise Kids, a two-and-a-half-hour culinary farmers market field trip program that takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the school year. Report to Education Program Coordinator and Foodwise Kids Intern.
Examples of Specific Duties
- Assist Foodwise Kids Program Coordinator and Foodwise Kids intern(s) before and during cooking classes.
- Help purchase ingredients from farmers, help prepare and serve market tastings of seasonal produce to students.
- Help set up and break down Foodwise Classroom, including work tables, equipment, and signage.
- Help children shop in the market.
- Help children learn to prepare food using fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Manage small group discussions.
- Manage hand washing lines.
- Assist Foodwise Kids Program Coordinator and Foodwise Kids intern(s) as requested.
Important Worker Characteristics
- A love for working with children. Some experience with children is important, but a formal background in childcare is not required.
- Experience or interest in the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and sustainable agriculture.
- An interest in cooking is essential, but formal kitchen experience is not necessary.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, farmers, teachers, chaperones, and the public with courtesy and respect.
- Attention to safety and details in facilities set-up and in the supervision of children.
- Ability to lift and maneuver moderately heavy materials and work on your feet for four hours.
- Awareness of Foodwise policies and procedures.
- Availability on Tuesdays and/or Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., or 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. during the school year.
Work Location, Times, and Conditions
This is an unpaid volunteer position. Primarily works outdoors in South Arcade of the Ferry Building; the covered kitchen spaces are minimally exposed to weather. Requires a commitment of at least one shift per month for a 3-month minimum. Two to three volunteers will support each class. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
We offer the Foodwise Kids internships on a seasonal basis. Check for current opportunities »