Group Volunteer Opportunities
When you volunteer with Foodwise, you get a hands-on experience that engages all your senses in learning about and creating a sustainable and equitable food system. When you spread fresh soil at a school garden, guide a student at the farmers market, or help a family cook a seasonal recipe, you will have direct experience in expanding access to fresh food for your community and youth in San Francisco.
Foodwise coordinates volunteer activities for groups of 5 to 20. Participants enjoy an experience that builds community within their team and gives back to our San Francisco community. Based on the time of year, needs of your group, and schedule availability, groups may participate in the following activities:
School Garden Cleanup
- Help with garden maintenance or garden building projects at one of 3 the San Francisco public high schools that participate in the Foodwise Teens program. Get your hands in the dirt and prepare the school farms for next semester’s students!
- # volunteers: 10-20 (potential to accommodate larger groups upon request)
- Time & location: Weekdays, school gardens in Mission or Glen Park neighborhoods. Morning 9 am – 1 pm or afternoon 1 pm – 5 pm session, flexible timing based on your group. Minimum 30 days to schedule.
Kids’ Farmers Market Field Trip
- Assist farmers market field trip for grade 1-5 students in small groups with the Foodwise Kids program and support produce tasting. Your group will help kids learn directly from farmers and love fruits and vegetables!
- # volunteers: 5-10 (can accommodate larger groups over multiple farmers market visits)
- Time & location: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm, at Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (fewer dates June-August). Minimum 2 weeks to schedule.
Family Cook Night
- Support weeknight cooking activity with grade 1-5 students and their families at SFUSD schools, part of the Foodwise Kids program. Enjoy making a simple veggie meal with families!
- # volunteers: 10-15
- Time & location: Dates and locations within SF vary, usually weeknights 4:30 pm – 8 pm.
For all activities, a nominal donation is required. We request a minimum of 14 days notice to coordinate the Farmers Market Field Trip or Family Cook Night group volunteer activity and 30 days for the School Garden Clean Up. We look forward to working with you and your group to make an impact, connect with fresh food and nature, and have fun.
Corporate Team Building
Enjoy a curated team-building experience that supports employee retention, fosters health and wellness, and puts your corporate social responsibility goals in action. Participants enjoy an experience that builds community within their team, deepens understanding of sustainable food systems, and ends by sharing fresh and delicious food from the farmers market.
Get in Touch
For all group volunteering and corporate team building inquiries, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Cindy Mendoza at email@example.com or (415) 291-3276 x 103 to learn more. We look forward to working with you and your group to engage in your local food system!