Foodwise is a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing thriving communities through the power and joy of local food. Our vision is to inspire a world that nourishes all people, local economies, and the living earth.
Foodwise seeks seasonal interns to support our Foodwise Kids program each Fall, Spring, and Summer semester.
Overview of Position
The Foodwise Kids Intern will be responsible for helping to coordinate and co-teach the Foodwise Kids program at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as follow-up cooking classes and Family Cooking Nights at select SFUSD schools.
Foodwise Kids is a culinary farmers market field trip program for visiting elementary school groups. This program includes a lecture/discussion on produce and farmers, a comparative tasting, shopping in the market, and basic cooking demonstrations. This internship can begin as early as August 30 and will end December 15.
- Teach students about sustainable food systems in the farmers market and Foodwise’s kitchen on Tuesdays and Thursdays, along with follow-up cooking classes (4 Wednesdays and/or Fridays TBD) and Family Cooking Nights (two Wednesday evenings TBD) at select SFUSD schools
- Work with Foodwise staff on program development and documentation
- Make and implement suggestions for improvement program
- Assist with miscellaneous Foodwise Kids tasks
- Other projects may be completed as agreed upon by the intern and Foodwise
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of/passion for cooking, nutrition, sustainable agriculture, and farmers markets
- Desire to work with children and comfort with large groups (prior experience a plus)
- A friendly, outgoing nature; excellent oral communication and customer service skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Google Drive
- Reliability, punctuality, and the ability to work well with others
Hours and Duration
10-15 hours per week (exact dates will vary every semester). The intern must be available to work Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on site, along with the occasional Wednesday and Friday, with the potential for remote work to be arranged.
The Foodwise Kids Intern reports to the Foodwise Kids and Families Education Manager. Foodwise will provide training as needed. Interns will receive a stipend of about $100 per week ($1,000-$1,800 depending on the semester), in addition to the option of receiving academic credit. Interns will also learn about sustainable food systems, become familiar with the farmers market, gain teaching experience, occasional fresh produce and exposure to the nonprofit working environment.
They will also have access to leftover produce from class, discounts, and free tickets to Foodwise events.
All interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination due to the nature of working closely and in-person with youth.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Foodwise’s Education Manager, Nesley Rojo, at email@example.com. Position open until filled. Position open until filled; priority deadline is August 22, 2022. Email submissions only; no phone calls, please.