Foodwise is a nonprofit organization dedicated growing thriving communities through the power and joy of local food.
The Education Intern will work with Foodwise’s Director of Education in the Foodwise office in the Ferry Building at the three Farmers Market sites and at our partner sites like schools, gardens, farms, and events. Internship responsibilities are based on the season and will include participation in educational and research projects relating to sustainable agriculture and seasonal foods, helping produce culinary demonstrations at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (Market to Table), helping organize Foodwise’s annual fundraisers (the Sunday Supper), general kitchen management, recipe and content development, and administrative duties.
Duties may include:
- Assist the Director of Education with ongoing projects.
- Teach farmers market shoppers about sustainable food systems at Foodwise’s education tent or demo station on Saturdays.
- Set up and break down, prepare materials, and help make the exhibit and/or demo run smoothly.
- Coordinate and train volunteers.
- Make suggestions for improvement of the exhibits and help implement improvements.
- Assist with miscellaneous education tasks.
- Other projects may be completed as agreed upon by the intern and Foodwise.
- Cultivate a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) in our office, programs, and markets.
Ongoing: Market to Table Demonstrations
Foodwise’s Saturday Market to Table cooking demonstrations are conducted by restaurant chefs and cookbook authors to highlight seasonal products from the farmers’ market. The program aims to inspire shoppers to eat seasonal, locally produced food and to help them learn more about their food and how to prepare it.
- Coordinate with chefs and farmers leading up to demonstrations.
- Create production plans and timelines for their demonstration: recipe formatting and scaling, ingredient sourcing, and mise en place specifics.
- Act as culinary lead the day of the demonstrations: manage prep work, production, and cleanup by interfacing with the chef, culinary volunteers, and visiting chef teams; shop for ingredients in the market; lead kitchen set up and break down.
- If needed, introduce the chefs and interview them during their demo.
Planning and Development for Market Programming
Potential miscellaneous duties:
- Organize and schedule cleaning of the Foodwise kitchen: replenish stocks and pantry. After a busy year of programming, the kitchen needs careful attention!
- Update contacts database and send out letters for the next year’s partnerships and demonstrations. Assist Director of Education in creating the following year’s Saturday schedule.
- Research for the following year’s exhibits and demos with a DEIJ lense.
Ongoing: Hands-on Classes
Foodwise occasionally hosts hands-on classes Saturdays and evenings (canning, sauerkraut, cheese-making, cocktails, and butchery). These are paid classes ranging from 10-30 students and are usually in partnership with an organization. Duties may include:
- Coordinate class logistics with market chef and partner organization as needed.
- Create recipe booklet.
- Source ingredients.
- Manage volunteers and classes.
The intern may be assigned other research, culinary, and educational projects as needed. Please be flexible and come with an open mind.
Terms of Internship
The Education Intern reports to the Director of Education. Foodwise will provide training as needed and will do our best to fulfill the intern’s learning objectives while also meeting the organization’s goals. Foodwise will provide performance feedback at the midpoint and at the completion of the internship. This is an unpaid internship, but the rewards are many, such as learning about sustainable food systems, becoming familiar with the farmers’ market, and experiencing the nonprofit working environment. A reference will be offered upon completion of the terms of the internship.
HOURS: Flexible, based on time of year, need to be available most Saturdays
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.