Foodwise is a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing thriving communities through the power and joy of local food. Founded in 1994, Foodwise operates San Francisco’s Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and Mission Community Market, and education programs to inspire eaters of all ages to take part in creating a fair, regenerative, and delicious food future for all.
Overview of Internship
The intern will work with the Communications Director to create accessible and impactful communications to support Foodwise’s mission, farmers markets, and education programs and engage our community across multiple platforms. The focus of the internship and specific projects will be mutually determined based on the intern’s skills and learning objectives, as well as Foodwise’s communications needs at the time. Examples of projects may include but are not limited to:
- Research and write content and feature articles for website and weekly e-letter.
- Assist with website updates and content development.
- Design digital or print materials (such as signage and graphics) based on brand guidelines.
- Take and edit photos; assist in organizing photo archives.
- Create and edit video content.
- Contribute content to social media channels.
- Support marketing, educational, and fundraising communications projects as needed.
- Assist Communications Director at fundraising events or public programs as needed.
Internship Learning Objectives
- Increase communications skills and experience in a dynamic and collaborative nonprofit setting.
- Create accessible and impactful mission-driven content for specific audiences through various channels, such as writing, photography, or video.
- Gain experience designing branded visual materials to support organization’s objectives.
- Learn how marketing and communications fit into the big picture of organization’s strategic goals and planning.
- Practice developing and executing individual project plans and timelines.
- Assist in marketing and content planning and strategy.
- Deepen learning about sustainable agriculture, farmers markets, and local food access.
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in communications, such as marketing, social media, or journalism.
- Strong writing and editing skills, and attention to detail.
- Skills in graphic design, photography, or video production a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in local food, sustainable agriculture, and farmers markets.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work well with others in a dynamic team setting.
- Interest in contributing to and gaining experience in a mission-driven nonprofit organization.
- Proficient in Google Suite.
- Experience with Adobe Create Suite, web content management systems, or email marketing platforms a plus.
Hours and Duration of Internship
- Approximately three months (duration to be mutually agreed upon).
- Approximately 10-20 hours per week (hours to be mutually agreed upon). Work may take place at Foodwise’s office, farmers markets, or fundraising events at San Francisco’s Ferry Building, with option to work remotely on specific projects.
- Days off or schedule changes may be arranged as agreed upon by the intern and Foodwise.
Terms of Internship
The intern reports to Foodwise’s Communications Director. Foodwise will provide training as needed and will fulfill the intern’s learning objectives while also meeting the organization’s goals. Foodwise will provide performance feedback at the midpoint and at the completion of the internship. This is an unpaid internship, but the rewards are many, such as learning about sustainable food systems, becoming familiar with the farmers market, and experiencing the nonprofit working environment, as well as options to receive academic credit.
All interns are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination for in-person work.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Brie Mazurek at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email submissions only; no phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.