Glenn Stonebarger and Roy Ghiggeri, along with 7 full-time and 60 seasonal employees
1200 acres in Brentwood, about 55 miles from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.
Emilio Ghiggeri planted the first sweet corn in Brentwood in the 1940s, when the area was known primarily for its production of lettuce, apricots, and melons. The farm became G&S (Ghiggeri and Stonebarger) Farms in the 1980s, when Glenn Stonebarger, who is a third-generation Brentwood farmer, married Emilio’s daughter, Jeannie. Today, Brentwood is famous for its sweet corn production, and in particular, a variety called Brentwood Diamonds, which G&S Farms was the first to grow in the 1990s. G&S Farms maintains soil fertility by rotating crops and adding synthetic fertilizers. They control pests with synthetic pesticides.