Foodwise welcomes groups of all ages to visit our farmers markets, including tour groups and classes. The Ferry Plaza Farmers Market is open Tuesday (10 am to 2 pm), Thursday (10 am to 2 pm), and Saturday (8 am to 2 pm), year round.
The Ferry Plaza Farmers Market operates rain or shine, but please keep in mind that it is located outdoors in an uncovered area. Most groups attend our Tuesday market. The Thursday market has abundant lunch choices and a handful of farmers. The Saturday market can be very crowded and is only possible to navigate in small groups.
Planning Your Visit
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are located inside the Ferry Building on the ground floor, at either end of the building.
- The Ferry Plaza Farmers Market is a wonderful place to learn about where food comes from, and it is also a place of business. Please do not block customer access or crowd a stand. For groups of more than a few people, line up and approach each stand in pairs. Please don’t interrupt a seller’s conversation with a customer. Wait until they are done and then ask your question.
- Ask permission at each stand before touching or sampling produce. Please do not take more than one sample per person.
- Some groups buy food together to create a communal meal or snack. Hot lunch options are available at all three weekly markets. Check our sellers page to find out what restaurants can be found on each market day. For small groups, there are tables in the market (first come, first served); larger groups sometimes have lunch across the street in Embarcadero Plaza or Sue Bierman Park.
- Got questions? Visit the Foodwise Info Booth (green tent in front of the Ferry Building). Directions and visitor info can be found here.
- We encourage you to visit at different times of the year to gain an understanding of California’s harvest seasons. To learn what produce is in season, consult our seasonality charts.
Schools and Youth Groups
Foodwise welcomes schools and youth groups to visit the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. We offer these programs, resources, and tips to support classes and youth groups in visiting the farmers market. Learn more.