Foodwise believes that a food system is the interrelationship of agricultural systems, their economic, social, cultural, and technological support systems, and systems of food distribution and consumption. Foodwise is a mission-driven non-profit that seeks to transform our food system by delivering innovative education programs about sustainable food and linking urban dwellers, local farmers, and food makers through our weekly farmers markets.
This pledge arises from Foodwise’s desire to ensure that the practices of the farmers, ranchers, restaurants, and food artisans in our farmers market community reflect the values of our organization.
This pledge is based on the word of our farmers, ranchers, restaurants, and food artisans. Foodwise cannot guarantee the accuracy of each seller’s pledge. Foodwise encourages everyone to build a relationship with their food producers in order to gain a deeper understanding of each business’ practices.
We ask that farmers, ranchers, restaurants and food artisans who sell their products at Foodwise Farmers Markets pledge to adopt and use practices that align with the philosophy and values described in Foodwise’s Sustainability Frameworks, summarized below.
Producers actively work to create and sustain cultivated landscapes that are complex, diverse and balanced biological systems. Producers use practices that conserve and restore resources. Learn more »
While being raised, animals are allowed to engage in the natural behaviors that are important to their wellbeing, and are harvested in ways that minimize stress to the animals and the environment. Learn more »
Producers operate within a framework of sound business planning and pursue integrated and proactive approaches to marketing and sales. Learn more »
As farmers, ranchers, restaurants, and food artisans selling at the Foodwise farmers markets, we pledge to:
- Support a sustainable food system by using practices that are environmentally sound, humane, economically viable, and socially just.
- Actively inform consumers about our products and our growing or production practices, hire knowledgeable employees to work the markets, and participate in Foodwise’s educational programs.
- For farmers and ranchers, build and maintain healthy soils through sustainable farming practices such as crop rotation, applying compost, cover cropping, and reducing tillage. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this.
- Adopt and use production practices that conserve valuable water resources.
- Adopt and use production practices that conserve energy and use renewable energy sources whenever possible.
- For farmers and ranchers, adopt and use production practices that limit the use of synthetic insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers, and when used, choose the least toxic alternatives. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this.
- For farmers and ranchers, use no genetically modified organisms (GMOs), irradiation, or synthetic post-harvest treatments. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this.
- For farmers and ranchers, adopt and use production practices that promote biodiversity and protect beneficial organisms. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this.
- For farmers and ranchers, use growing and handling practices that ensure food safety, such as handling raw manure and soil amendments with care and washing products with potable water. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this and ensure food safety in the kitchen by following careful sanitation practices.
- For farmers and ranchers, adopt and emphasize humane practices in animal production systems, including providing pasture for ruminants and access to the outdoors and fresh air for all livestock, banning cruel alterations, and using no hormones, or non-therapeutic antibiotics. For restaurants and food artisans, support those that do this.
- Reduce food miles and promote sustainability by emphasizing local sourcing, sales, and marketing.
- Pay a living wage and treat farm and kitchen employees with respect, paying appropriate attention to the economic, physical, and psychological well-being of our staff.
- Commit to transparency through clear labeling of products, including origin and production methods.
- Work to reduce food waste by directing unsalable but edible products to people who need it.
- Support agricultural markets and infrastructures that allow small farms and businesses to thrive, and cooperate with the community of farmers, vendors, and patrons to continue improving the quality of Foodwise farmers markets.