Shrimp and Pork Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
Source: Charles Phan, The Slanted Door
½ cup of roasted peanuts
2 small Thai chiles
3 cloves of garlic
⅛ cup sugar
⅛ cup ketchup
½ tablespoon of lemon juice
1 cup of cooked sweet rice
⅓ cup miso paste
Water as needed
½ pounds pork butt
10 ounces of medium size shrimp
15 mint sprigs
1 head of red leaf lettuce
½ pack of thin rice noodle
10 12” round rice paper
For the peanut sauce
Put peanuts, Thai chile, garlic and sugar in a food processor and ground to a fine paste. Then add the rest of the ingredients and continue processing. Add water occasionally to thin sauce to a smooth and creamy consistency.
For the spring roll
- Prepare peanut sauce and mayo.
- Put shrimp in boiling water for 3 minutes, then rinse it with cold water. Shell, devein, and cut lengthwise.
- Cook pork in boiling water until it is cooked all the way through. Let it cool and slice thinly.
- With a large bowl of warm water, dip each sheet of rice paper individually into water then remove and spread out flat on tabletop. Do 2 sheets at a time.
- Lay one piece of lettuce over the bottom third of the rice paper (lettuce size should be about 2” x 4”). Put mayo on top of lettuce. Lay small amount of rice noodle on top of lettuce then three pieces of pork and 3 mint leaves.
- Fold left and right side over filling. Roll up paper halfway into cylinder. Lay 3 shrimp halves cut side up, along the crease then keep rolling paper into a cylinder and seal. Place roll on a platter covered with a damp towel.