Roasted Squash and Swiss Chard Paella
Source: Trish Tracey, Ramblas Tapas Bar.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
¼ cup minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped Swiss chard
½ tablespoon chiffonade (thinly sliced) fresh sage
½ cup dry sherry
1cup paella rice or arborio rice
3 ounces roasted diced butternut squash
3 ounces roasted puréed winter squash
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
6 fried sage leaves
2 tablespoons candied pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon white truffle oil
1 ounce browned butter, with a squeeze of lemon
- Heat the paella pan with the olive oil. Add the onions, shallots and garlic and sauté on low until translucent. Add the swiss chard and chiffonade of sage and sauté until wilted.
- Add the rice, stir and add 1 ½ cups of the chicken (or other) stock.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the roasted squash, pureed squash and stir all together. Bring up to a boil and immediately turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer on a low flame for 15-18 minutes adding more of the stock as needed. Do not stir during this cooking time.
- When it is finished it should not be soupy. It should actually be starting to dry at the edges a little bit.
- Garnish with fried sage, toasted or candied pumpkin seeds and truffle oil or brown butter which ever you prefer.