Roasted Beet Salad
Source: Armando Paniagua, Rose Pistola Restaurant.
5 pounds medium size chiogga beets
½ head fresh garlic
1 medium size orange
10 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup olive oil
1 cup White wine
¼ pound ricotta salata cheese
1 pound radicchio
Salt & pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 250º.
- In a deep roasting pan, combine the whole beets, the half head of garlic (still in skin), juice from one orange, the sprigs of thyme, olive oil, and white wine.
- Place the pan in the oven, and roast for 2 ½ hours, or until the beets are tender with a fork.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the beets cool.
- Once the beets are cooled, peel them, and cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Quarter the radicchio, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the radicchio until its slightly charred, and then pull the leaves apart.
- While the radicchio is grilling, cut the ricotta salata into ¼ inch cubes.
- Toss the beets, grilled radicchio & ricotta salata together with some extra salt and pepper to taste.