Source: Ryan Farr, 4505 Meats
1 package 4505 Meats Brine Mix, or see brine recipe below
1 (16- to 19-pound) turkey
1 package 4505 Meats Stuffing Mix, or see stuffing recipe below
Salt and pepper to taste
3 to 4 tablespoons canola oil or other neutral oil
1 internal probe thermometer
1. Prepare the brine according to package instructions or recipe below.
2. Place the turkey in the brine, and put a weight on top to submerge the bird fully (a few cans of food set on a plate works well). Refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. Remove the turkey from brine and pat dry. Set out at room temperature for up to 1 hour to let the bird temper and air-dry the skin.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing according to package instructions or recipe below.
5. Preheat the oven to 415°F. Rub the turkey with oil, and lightly salt and pepper the turkey, inside and out (remember, the brine adds salt, so don’t overdo it). Stuff the bird with the stuffing.
6. Place the turkey on a rack set inside a roasting pan. Insert the probe thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, being careful to avoid the bone. Set the thermometer to 150°F. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown.
7. Lower the oven temperature to 275°F and roast until thermometer reads 150°F, about 3 hours. Peek at the turkey every 45 minutes or so. If the bird is looking a little too dark, tent it with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
8. Let the turkey rest for at least 45 minutes. Remove the stuffing, carve, and serve.
from Whole Beast Butchery
1 cup granulated sugar
1¼ cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
2 small dried bird’s eye chiles or Thai chiles
Combine everything in a large pot with 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil. Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove from the heat. Transfer to a tall nonreactive container that will fit in your refrigerator and let it sit, uncovered, to cool. When the brine is at room temperature, refrigerate it until it is completely cold.
½ pound 4505 Meats spicy Italian or apple bacon sausage
½ stick butter
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
2 cups 4505 Meats chicken stock
9 ounces stale bread, cubed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Brown the sausage in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium and add the butter, onion, and celery. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the stock and stir. Let simmer until reduced by a quarter. Add the bread, thyme, sage, and paprika, and stir to combine. Add the salt, pepper, and parsley and stir to combine. Let rest for 30 minutes.