Gluten-Free Chard and Quinoa Salad
Source: Amy Fothergill, The Family Chef
1-2 cups cooked quinoa
2-3 tablespoons pine nuts or sunflower seeds (or combination of the two)
½ onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 bunch chard, leaves and stems chopped, placed in a large bowl of water to remove dirt
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
Drizzle of agave nectar or honey
Optional ingredients: 2 tablespoons dried apricot, chopped; other chopped veggies like zucchini,
red pepper, cauliflower or carrot
- Prepare quinoa by using 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. For this recipe, use ¾ cup rinsed quinoa to 1 ½ cup water. Add the water and quinoa to a pot with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook about 12-15 minutes or until you no longer see water. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, toast nuts and/or sunflower seeds until golden brown. Remove from pan (toasting is optional; you can use untoasted nuts if you prefer).
- Heat large sauté pan to medium. Add olive oil and cook onions with pepper, cumin, cinnamon and turmeric.
- Remove chard from bowl, putting your hands into the water and scooping out the chard. If you pour the water out, the dirt will remain. Cook chard with onion, uncovered until softened.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve room temperature or cold.
Note: This recipe is an Indian flavor profile. To make it Italian, use seasonings like oregano,basil, and garlic. To make it Greek, use seasonings like oregano, thyme, garlic, lemon and Feta cheese. To make it Asian, use seasonings like soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger and cilantro.