Chickpea and Dandelion Zuppa
Source: Christophe Hille, formerly of A16.
Serves 2 to 4
1 quart chickpeas, cooked and salted, left to rest in the cooking liquid
1 quart dandelion greens, blanched, shocked in ice water and chopped
2 small onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
12 slices guanciale or pancetta
2 bay leaves
Abundant olive oil
Salt to taste
- In a large stock pot or rondeau, sweat the guanciale and bay leaves in around a cup of olive oil until nicely browned.
- Add the onions and celery and continue cooking until tender.
- Add the cooked chickpeas with enough liquid to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, add the dandelion greens and cook at a high simmer until the greens are tender.
- Remove from the heat and check the seasoning, adjusting as needed.
- Can be served immediately or cooled down and stored for later use.
- Serve with a grilled bruschetta and chile oil poured over the soup.