Broccoli Pasta with Almond-Lemon Pesto
Source: Sarah Henkin, CUESA's Market Chef.
This recipe was demonstrated at the FOOD WISE BOOTH on March 24, 2009.
1 cup almonds, toasted
2-3 cloves garlic
Zest from 2-3 lemons
¼ cup parsley leaves
1 cup (less than a quarter pound) arugula
¾ -1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
½ pound broccoli rabe
½ pound broccoli de ciccio
1 pound pasta
For the Lemon-Pesto Sauce
- Pulse ¾ cup of the almonds, garlic, lemon zest, parsley and arugula in a food processor until well combined.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while pulsing until sauce is desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Chop the remaining almonds and reserve for garnish.
For the Pasta
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to boil.
- Blanch broccoli raab until leaves turn bright green (about one minute) and drain.
- Blanch broccoli de ciccio until tender and remove from water.
- Chop broccoli into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Bring water back to a boil and add pasta. Cook until done. Reserve about ¼ cup of pasta water before draining pasta.
- In a large serving bowl mix together broccoli, pasta, and pesto. Add the pasta water if pesto is too thick and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning for salt and pepper. Top with reserved almonds and serve.