Apple Cider Pie
Source: The Smit Family, Hidden Star Orchards
Makes 1 pie
2 tablespoons butter
⅔ cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup apple cider
3 tablespoons cornstarch
6-8 apples (depending on the size of your pie pan)
⅔ cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups flour
¼ cup boiling water
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
¾ cup flour
For the filling
- In a saucepan, combine the first four ingredients and ¾ cup of the apple cider.
- Dissolve the cornstarch into the remaining apple cider and add to the pan.
- Over medium heat, bring ingredients to boiling and cook until clear, jelly-like consistency, stirring continuously.
- Pour over bowl of sliced/cored/peeled Granny Smith apples and coat well.
For the crust
- Mix all ingredients by hand until ball forms.
- Press crust mix into bottom of pie pan.
For the topping
- Mix all ingredients by hand and “dot” the top of the filled pie crust. Topping and edges of crust should touch.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Bake pie at 450 for ten minutes. Turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.