Juneteenth on the Waterfront
Thursday, December 1, 2022, 1:20 pm - 1:20 pm
Celebrate local Black-owned businesses at the 2nd annual Juneteenth on the Waterfront on Saturday, June 11! Kick off a month of Juneteenth celebrations in San Francisco with a day of fun, community, and delicious, handcrafted food at the Embarcadero Ferry Terminal Plaza (south of the Ferry Building) and Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Entry is free and open to the public, and food and drinks will be available for purchase.
Juneteenth on the Waterfront is cosponsored by MegaBlack SF, Foodwise, and Port of San Francisco, in partnership with En2action/Ujamaa Kitchen, Fillmore Merchants and Neighborhood Collaborative, La Cocina, Mandela Partners, and SF Black Wallstreet.
Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day, celebrates the anniversary of Black emancipation in the United States. It is honored on the anniversary of June 19, 1865, when freedom from slavery was proclaimed in the state of Texas.
Participating Businesses and Community Partners
- A Girl Named Pinky: Deep-fried Monte Cristo sandwiches, cakes, cookies, tarts
- Alkali Rye – Oakland’s Beverage Shop: Beer & wine (in cans)
- Fillmore Merchants and Neighborhood Collaborative: Homemade Hot Links, Potato Salad, Assorted Party Wings, Banana Pudding
- Gumbo Social: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Grilled Shrimp Po’Boys, Cali Greens, Red Beans and Rice
- Peaches Patties: Jamaican Beef Patty, Jamaican Curry Chicken Patty, Jamaican Ackee Saltfish Patty (breakfast; sold from 8am -10am), Jamaican Impossible Beef Patty (vegan), Jerk Chicken Wings and Plantains, Sorrel (Jamaican Hibiscus Drink), Homemade Ginger Beer
- Sam’s Gourmet Jams: Small-batch artisan jams, jellies, curds
- SF Black Wallstreet: Chargrilled oysters, Afro-Colombian empanadas, handmade smoked sausage, lemonade
- The Lemonade Bar: Bottled and frozen lemonades
- Tha M’fn Vegan: Vegan BBQ Sliders, Big Papa Nachos, Tha Town Salad
- Yes Pudding: Banana Pudding, Bourbon Caramel Bread Pudding, Seasonal Cobbler
- Community partners: En2action/Ujamaa Kitchen, MegaBlack SF, Port of San Francisco, San Francisco Human Rights Commission
Visit these Black-owned food businesses in the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market for specials:
- Crumble & Whisk: Sweet potato cheesecake, plus other cheesecakes and baked goods
- Delightful Foods: Bean pie, plus other pies, vegan cookies, ginger beverages
Join us in the Ferry Terminal Plaza (adjacent to the Ferry Building) for fun family activities and music:
- Black history coloring activity and mancala game at the Foodwise Kids tent
- Seeing Seeds through Beads: A Bracelet Making Activity Honoring Traditional Foods in Black Culture with Gina Wright
- Music by DJ Lonnie Taylor of BFF.fm
Visit the Foodwise Classroom in front of the Ferry Building for two free cooking demos:
- Market to Table Demo: Dontaye Ball, Gumbo Social (10:30 am)
- Market to Table Demo: Chef Mo, 4ft and Up Kitchen (12:00 pm)
Participating Ferry Plaza Farmers Market vendors and Ferry Building Marketplace merchants will be donating a portion of their proceeds from the day, with Hudson Pacific Properties to the MegaBlack SF Black Wellness Fund, landlord of the Ferry Building, matching up to $5,000. Look for signage at participating businesses, or donate directly to the MegaBlack SF Black Wellness Fund here.
Participating Ferry Plaza Farmers Market businesses: Acme Bread Company, Balakian Farms, Batter Bakery, Farmer Joy, Hodo, Norte 54 (online), Root Down Farm, Star Route Farms, Winters Fruit Tree, Wise Goat Organics, Wise Sons Jewish Delicatessen.
MegaBlack SF fights for visibility, sovereignty, dignity and justice for Black San Franciscans. Help support the MegaBlack SF Black Wellness Fund, which invests in organizations that address issues of mental health and wellness; economic development, including employment and housing; and education for African American residents in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Celebrate Juneteenth Weekend in San Francisco (June 18-19)
Be sure to celebrate Juneteenth weekend with our partners Fillmore Merchants and Neighborhood Collaborative at Juneteenth SF Freedom Celebration on June 18 in the Fillmore District, and SF Black Wallstreet at San Francisco Juneteenth on June 19 at Bayview’s Gilman Park.